Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Yarn in Buenos Aires

There are tons of yarn stores in Recoleta, but it seems that most of them only carry acrylic yarn and I want to buy wool or alpaca or some other natural fiber. Also, in the states we buy yarn by the skein and it indicates the yardage on the packaging, but here, yarn is sold by weight, so I have no idea how many I would need for a big project like a sweater or a throw. I am sure there is a way to figure it out. I bought both the goldenrodish skein and the lavender one at this shop and the total came out to about 64 Argentine pesos, which is about $14 USD, which was not bad for the amount I got. I took pictures of the skein next to Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, which is over 700 pages to give an idea of how gigantic the ball was. 


I have worked mostly with Cascade 220 and when I rolled the yarn into balls they were substaintally larger than 220 yarns by my eyeballing. I would say the goldenrod was a heavy worsted and the lavender ball changes weights throught the skein about every 2 or 3 feet and goes between sockweight and super bulky. I am not sure what to do with it yet and I could not find the name of what yarn like that is technically called either. 


The name of this yarn is Yanabey and I finished a scarf with the goldenrod, but it is pretty scratchy, but warm. The website is yanabey.com and the skein I bought was 200kg.

I am still on the prowl for more yarn. I will keep you posted. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...